Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??

Subject: Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:21:08 EST
In a message dated 01/27/2000 5:01:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
geanders@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> As for the surgery, I've talked to several folks and they've reported what
>  sounds strange to me, but they swear it's not a problem:  they come out of
>  the surgery with one eye fgood for distance, the other for close up.
>  Strange.  I'd prefer it the way your friend did it, Giles, though I am as
>  nervous as you are about the procedure.

Another common side affect of this surgery is poorer night vision.
Specifically, light sources get halos around them. Apparently teh correction
does not apply top the full diameter of teh open pupil, so when your eyes are
dark-adapted some aberrations are introduced. There was an article about this
in Sky and Telescope about a year or so ago. Astronomers (at least
observational astronomers) were warned not to get the surgery.

YMMV, of course.

Paul Schings