RE: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??

Subject: RE: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:45:02 -0500
I know a doctor in Cambridge, MA (usa) that does vision therapy - Dr.
Antonia Orfield. She teaches eye exercises that help improve myopia.
Most of the exercises are aimed at stimulating and improving peripheral
vision. Myopia is caused by too much point focus. My eyesight
deteriated the most when working with old digital equipment monitors in
the 80's, and too much computer useage today. She felt laser surgery
was a mistake because it does not change the behavior that created
myopia in the first place.

Most of the exercises use an eye patch to cover one eye. One exercise
with the patch on is to walk and balance on a 2x2 board back and forth.
Other exercises involved using prism glasses that shift your
perspective, again walking the board for balance. Another one used a
machine that pulsed on different colors of light and you look at it
with various parts of your peripheral vision. I found initially that my
color vision in the peripheral was missing some colors. This exercise
helps "wake up" the peripheral vision. I found the exercises were
working, but I did not put in enough effort to break through the
initial barrier.

My own personal view, based on my own self, is that my ability to see
photographically would also improve using the exercises. Too much
computer use is not good... guess I'll have to stop reading so much of
this list...:-)

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA