[OM] Re: Corrective Eye Surgery

Subject: [OM] Re: Corrective Eye Surgery
From: "Matt Bachofen" <bachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:13:27 -0600
George wrote:
    As for the surgery, I've talked to several folks and they've reported
what
    sounds strange to me, but they swear it's not a problem:  they come out
of
    the surgery with one eye fgood for distance, the other for close up.
    Strange.  I'd prefer it the way your friend did it, Giles, though I am
as
    nervous as you are about the procedure.

I had RK surgery on_both_ eyes at once, because I was over 13 diopters out
of correction in both eyes at the time.  He couldn't do them one at a time,
because of the diminishing effect that glasses had.  That is, if one eye saw
things the right size, the other wouldn't be able to compensate because
things would be too small.  I remember after getting my bandages off how
everything seemed gigantic.  I (literally? :^) ) had coke bottle bottoms on
my face.

The strangest thing I experienced was some starburst effect for about a
year, and my night vision isn't the greatest.  It was even worse when I wore
glasses.

There are so many surgeries out there now, including the one eye far one
near, the lens shaving, cornea shaving.  Tons.  I had RK with a
scalpel_not_a laser and I feel my results were fine.
M.E. Bachofen