[OM] flare

Subject: [OM] flare
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:24:15 -0800 (PST)
==========================
Joseph:  Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't flare caused when we shoot
to close to the sun or any other bright light source?  That being the case,
I'd still take the 35-80F2.8
==========================

when flare is bad enough to cause ghost images of the diaphragm in the
real image it is caused by a specular light source in the subject
than is much brighter than the remaining subject material.

a second type of flare is just shooting without a shade in bright sunlight
where the sunlight is hitting the front of the lens, but not in the
image itself.  this will flatten contrast and reduce color saturation.

the second type of flare can be controlled with a shade.  some of the
zoom shades on the market will work well with the 35-80 or similar
zooms.

but the first type of flare cannot be controlled by a shade because
the light source is in the image.  it is caused by the light reflecting
back and forth inside the lens.

I'll give you an example.  I used to own the 35-70/3.6 Zuiko.  i once
took a shot of a glass-sided building at sunset with a golden gloaing
cityscape at sunset reflecting on the side of the building. the glass
mirror building was actually a grid of rectangles of the mirror/glass
siding, with some sort of metal beams forming frames around the rectangles
throughout.  I didn't notice the sun reflecting off of a tiny corner
of one of these beams, and it was enough to flare the image with
a ghost image of the diapragm, ruining what otherwise would have
been a superlative shot.  I don't think this would have happened
with a prime lens.  Point a zoom at the sun and it will flare.

joseph