Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc
From: "Rand E." <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:39:45 -0500
Emil,
  If I have my history and numbers correct, the following is true.  The
P51 in it's initial form (smaller engine and no boost) was turned down
by the Brits earlier in the war (and rightfully so, it was a dog).  By
adding a decent engine and boost, it became a true performer.  One of
the the big reasons why the numbers for the P51 are so great is that the
plane was present in massive numbers and when the hunting was just about
ideal.  One cannot argue that it was a great plane, it also didn't hurt
to be in the right place at the right time either.
Another Buff,
Rand E.