[OM] fill flash question

Subject: [OM] fill flash question
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:22:05 EST
If I put a non-TTL "normal auto" shoe mount flash (like a vivitar 283)
on a TTL camera like a OM2n, and put the OM2n into auto mode, will the
camera provide correct exposure by taking into consideration the light
from the flash? In other words, do the light sensors in the OM2n
respond to strobe light without a T series flash attached?

The reason I ask is because it appears at least to be impossible to
independently control depth of field (via apeture settings) and strobe/
ambient light ratios with a T series flash installed. For example, with
a T series flash on a OM2, with both set to "auto", the ratio of strobe
to ambient light is only controlled by the apeture setting (open up for
more ambient light but get less depth of field). With a "normal auto"
flash that has an independent film speed setting (or even power setting
with sunpak flash), you can fool the flash into outputing less power by
setting the film speed on the flash to a higher ISO number than what's
actually in the camera. (100 speed film in the camera, set the flash to
400 (200?) for half power).

Basically, I want to know if the above "trick" will work with the ttl
auto OM2.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright