[OM] On eyeballs and eyesight (long and off-topic)

Subject: [OM] On eyeballs and eyesight (long and off-topic)
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:49:40 -0600
I hope this doesn't start too large of an off-topic thread or spark any
high-octane posts, but I too have been bothered with changing eyesight.

I'm a bit near-sighted, but not bad enough to "require" corrective lenses.
For quite a while my eyesight was getting worse and worse and at one point
I had it tested and was almost a -2 out in my right eye and -1 in my left.
I looked at getting contacts or glasses and because of my photography,
mountain bike racing, stunt-kiteflying and cross-country skiing decided on
contacts.  Unfortunately, I discovered that I cannot wear contacts.  My
eyes are so incredibly sensitive to touch that it was nearly impossible to
get them installed.  It would take nearly 30 minutes to get the first
contact in and 20 for the second.  After weeks of fighting them I just gave
up and decided to "live with it."

My primary problem was being able to focus and also to scout the scene.
I'd get pictures back where I saw details that were not visible to me when
I was there.  I installed corrective lenses in the OM bodies as the
apparent visual distance to the focus screen is approximately 5-6 feet (2M)
which is right where my vision is the worst.  A minus 1 to 2 corrective
diopter in the eyepieces took care of my cameras and I was finally able to
focus and see my subjects clearly through the camera.  In fact, I'd use the
camera to look at something if I couldn't quite see it clearly enough with
my eyes.

In my case the vision deterioration was caused by two things:  Computer
monitors and a decrease in overal health.  I was also starting to suffer
from an increase in migraines which were, to the best of my knowledge,
chemical/dietary related.  About six years ago my blood pressure started to
rise (it had been 105/50 with an at rest heart rate of 35-40bpm), and it
had increased to about 135/90 with an at rest heart rate of around 50.  My
weight increased dramatically from 190 to 220.  My eyesight had gotten to
its worse and I was really concerned about my health.  I chalked it up to
early marriage, but something had to be done!  I had stopped racing after I
had busted myself up trying to jump a fallen tree at high speed on my
mountain bike.  Within a year the self-discipline of riding in all kinds of
nasty weather, day or night was lost.  Today I dispise riding when it is
cold, rainy or snowy.  But I took up walking (hip and ankle injuries make
running difficult but not impossible and my carpel tunnel has severely
limited my bike riding).  When travelling through airports I use every
possible minute between flights to lug my bags from one extreme to the
other in the terminals.  I don't lollygag as I am usually maintaining a
4-5mph speed while carrying 40 pounds in my two bags.  I've lost about 15
pounds this year and recently had a physical for life insurance.  The
results were interesting:  My blood pressure was 115/80 with a resting
heart rate of 32 bpm!  My lung capacity was also the highest she had ever
measured and my cholesteral tests were pretty normal.  Best of all, my
blood sugar was perfect!  (I've suffered from hypoglycemia in my 20's).

Ok, so what all does this have to do with vision?  Over a year ago I was
invited to leave the comfort of my employment.  My work involved 7-12 hours
a day of computer work and my eyes were being wrecked by viewing the
computer monitors.  Since that time I have spent less than an hour a day
anywhere near a computer.  I also consume Beta-carotene, garlic and other
vitimin suppliments.  And finally, I have enlisted the assistance of an
alternative-health-care professional.

The results have been interesting and the improvement was not an overnight
thing.  My eyesight is now less than -1 out (nearsighted) in my right eye
and less than -.5 out in my left.  I still use corrective lenses in my
cameras (except in my 2S which had recently fallen out) but it is no longer
"necessary" to have them in there but just an improvement.  Several years
ago I did extensive research into alternative health solutions to my
eyesight problems and implements a few of the recommendations that I felt
applied to me.  The Beta-carotene is probably the most vital element for
overall eye health, but keeping your blood pressure under control has the
most effect on eyesight.  Rapidly changing eyesight can be a sign of
diabetes so an overall physical is recommended prior to going on any
alternative-health care plan.

Ken Norton