Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question

Subject: Re: [OM] Black vs Chrome/Titanium WAS: OM-2S question
From: Glen Lowry <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:27:50 -0800
        "John A. Lind" wrote:
> IIIF's in designer colo(u)r???  Aurghhh!  I hope he's doing this with the
> severely "cosmetically challenged" ones.  Check out the market price on a 9
> to 10- IIIF (cosmetic and working), especially a red dial, even more so a
> red dial with self timer, with original finish.  The glass case collectors
> are probably having heart palpitations . . . or they are wringing their
> hands with glee at the thought of their current collection becoming even
> rarer.
>
> It's the same effect as old collectible and antique furniture.  Any
> refinishing work drops the value, often dramatically.

First off the correct spelling is colour.  I'm not sure where folks are
getting this color business from.  Next the colonials'll be spelling it
honor and humor.

Secondly, being an anti-collection gear acquistor (no u), I'm happy to
see the the "glass case" cats go into fits.  Too many good guitars end
up silent in the cold collectors' hands; too many leicas polished well
past perfection.

As I say I'd love to have a blue or green or red OM3/4ti.  Not only
would it be a conversational prop--a photographic complement with which
to garner compliments.  But, affecting Doris' oft stated reminder that
our gear lust and number crunching undervalues the near-symbiotic
relationship between shooter and gear, I hold that the psychological
effect of such a conspicous camera on yours truly the photog could and
would be profound indeed.

To make my point I think a bit, a byte or two, more from Wallace
Stevens's _The Man with the Blue Guitar_ (this time a direct quotation)
is in order:

The man bent over his guitar.
A shearsman of sorts.  The day was green.

They said, "You have a blue guitar.
You do not play things as they are."

The man replied, "Things as they are
Are Changed upon the blue guitar."

And they said then,  "But play, you must,
A tune beyond us, yet ourselves,

A tune upon the blue guitar
of things exactly as they are."

Cheers,
Glen (who is most obviously avoiding the task at hand, dissertation
writing)