RE: [OM] Please Help enSlave me!

Subject: RE: [OM] Please Help enSlave me!
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:48:47 -0500
Susan,
You'll likely get responses from folks who have had a lot more experience
than me, but I'll try to get you started.
Slaves can be battery or AC (110 volts) powered.  The AC ones can even screw
into a light bulb socket.  Cost for the AC screw-in ones is often ~$30.

Slaves for flash units like Vivitar, Sunpak or others will be more
expensive, but have other features (go anywhere, tilt, swivel, etc.).  You
can even get some units like Vivitar 4600, 5200, 5600 that have removable
heads and can interchange a standard head with a bare bulb style that has a
slave trigger built in.  The problem is, Vivitar no longer makes those
products, so you have to search around a little.  Bare bulb heads for the
Vivitar flashes often go for ~$40 on eBay (plus the cost of the flash).
I've bought them in stores for $20...

Unless you are using T-series or compatible flashes (Vivitar and Sunpak are
likely best) with the TTL Multi-Connector and lots of TTL cords ($$), you
will not have TTL control of all the light.  An OM-2S or 4 can control up to
9 flash units, all it takes is money!

Or, you can even invest in a Radio Control unit with OM adapters.  Each
radio set will be ~$300.  Quantum and other companies make the radio
doohickeys.  So, TTL is nice, but not cheap in this application.

Using a standard off-the-shelf flash will not get TTL control.  You will
need a Flash Meter.  You will likely set the meter for an incident reading
and trip the master flash.  The flash meter will then read all the light and
tell you what f/stop to use.  An OM-1 will likely give you the results you
need with AC slaves if you have access to a flash meter.  Used flash meters
will often sell for ~$50-100 for the run-of-the-mill styles.  Or you can get
a new Minolta or Gossen for the price of an OM-4.

If you really want to try this, contact me off-line.  I have ~3-4 Vivitar
units that can function as slave units and 2 bare bulb heads.  I also have a
flash meter you ca play with for a while.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx