Re: [OM] focus screen shimmer

Subject: Re: [OM] focus screen shimmer
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:45:57 EST
The shimmer is the critical focus.  I think what is going on is the light being
refracted through the tiny prisms in the ground glass part of the screen and as
either the lens or your head shakes, you get the shimmer effect.  You can also
use the shimmer to gauge lens and camera shake.  I first noticed it with the
2-4 screen, the 300/4.5 and an inadequate tripod.

Warren

<<<Ahhhh  you noticed that too.  I at first thought that the point of
critical focus was when the shimmer just went away but soon realised it
was when you had shimmer.
Giles