Re: [OM] fill flash question

Subject: Re: [OM] fill flash question
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:29:05 +0000
>  The camera is likely to FRY (comments from John H?). Plus, it won't
>work.

Doris, I can understand the "won't work" part, but not the "fry" part. I
performed an experiement last night with the OM2n. I set the film speed to
12, the apeture to f16 and the camera to "auto", and clicked the shutter,
which stayed open in the dim light of the living room. I then popped a flash
by hand right into the lens, and the shutter closed instantly. All that told
me was that the sensors respond to very short duration flash output, but as
you noted, this won't work to control exposure since the shutter is too
slow. Also, the auto exposure electronics of the camera didn't function
properly afterward, since cocking the shutter and releasing it again caused
the exposure to be really short. In other words, the shutter didn't stay
open like the first time, even with the F stop on F16 and iso set to 12. I
had to repeat that a few times before it went back to normal. I also noticed
that when I moved the switch to "check" position, the red LED flickered for
a while. I guess the flash into the lens temporarily overloaded the
electronics. I hope no long term damage has occured.....

>  There is a way to do what you are seeking to do. It was scienced out
>by our very own John Lind, and if I remember, it goes like this:

But, this is with a T series flash, correct? I can understand that with a T
series flash installed on the camera and on "ttl auto", that the ratio of
fill to ambient will vary with the F stop selected on the lens. I was trying
to get away from coupling the fill/ambient ratio to the depth of field
produced by changing the F stop.

Now I realize that it's the slow sync speed of 1/60 that limits the choice
of F stops in  daylight situations.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright