[OM] RE: Planes and Zuikos...

Subject: [OM] RE: Planes and Zuikos...
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:03:36 +0000
I'll get my OM content in early, so I can feel less guilty. It was a trip
the (then relatively new) RAF Museum at Hendon that finally decided me to go

... tokenism eh?
;-)

Anyway, a few years previously I had been an Air Training Corps cadet, we
used to go to Leuchars and Prestwick air displays for Battle of Britain
days. The Starfighters that Barks mentions were at one, I counted 13
roulette passes in their display, which given their reputation was tempting
fate a bit much! Noisy brutes, but not as noisy as the Javelins (remember
those...?).

I not old enough to remember Javelins flying. But I do know that the fuel pumps to the engines were of such a design that, under certain conditions, you would get less thrust from them when you selected reheat!

When I was at University in Edinburgh in the 70s I once stopped on hearing a
familiar noise in the sky; looking up there were two old aircraft crossing
the city. Another chap had stopped, an older man in his fifties, I guess. I
caught his eye and we both smiled. A Hurricane and Spitfire. No mistaking
that Merlin engine. The Hurri was my favourite. Stole my heart very early.
Now to have a shot in one of those... (or even some decent shots OF one of
those - with my OMs, of course (more OM content ;-))).

Lovely engines ...

BTW, what are you guys all taking, I came home to 7 (seven) digests tonight.
No wonder the collective eyesight is on the blink (I wear specs myself...)

   Donald.

PS. - love the ADITL shots; All I took over Hogmanay were liberties.

Yes, I dare not leave my computer for long ;-)

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx