[OM] OT: Aircraft ect.

Subject: [OM] OT: Aircraft ect.
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:33:27 -0800
Siddiq, et al,
        When I was last (10 years ago) at the Chino Air Show "Planes of Fame"
the owner of a P40 told me that the Chino airport had the highest
concentration of Warbirds in California.  At that time, Livermore was
second.  This was due to the proximity to large metropolitan areas (and
the commercial traffic that comes with it).  These two airports are near
enough to drive to and are outside the heaviest of the congestion.  I am
fortunate enough to live about 10 miles west of the runway in Livermore,
so once or twice a month we are blessed with the fly over of a warbird
of some sort.  Unfortunately they are already at a few thousand feet by
the time they get here.
        For those of you interested in the sounds and trying to fly something
like this I suggest you download Airwarrior II from Interactive Magic (I
believe it is free ware)  They claim it has the most realistic flight
parameters for 25 or so warbirds including some bombers.  Having only
flown General Aviation type aircraft and Not having a private pilots
license this is as close as I can ever hope to get to flying one of
these beauties.  The sounds are pretty good as well, but I don't have a
real Bass speaker to get the full effect (affect? :-)).

        I am constantly reminded how diverse this group is but I am amazed at
how many of the things (cars, airplanes, music ect.) we share a common
interest in.  Once again I am pleased to be associated with all of you.
--
Mike Butler

"Test pilots aren't supposed to be afraid,,, But I'll tell you the X-15
really impressed me"   Milt Tompson, X-15 Test Pilot