Re: [OM] macro lensesX

Subject: Re: [OM] macro lensesX
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:57:27 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:

|I currently own the Sigma 90/2.8 in manual focus and it doesn't live up to the
90 lp/mm that it tested at in the old Modern Photo tests. I find it sort of
soft. I do alternate it, depending on need, with the Zuiko 100/2.8 which, to
me, has snappier images.

|<<I can tell you that the sigma 90/2.8 is not distortion free,
|and is thus not a real macro lens.  So you haveto take these
|numbers as nothing definitive>>>

All the photodo Zuiko results confirm is something which was a known
fact all along: that MTF data do NOT supply comprehensive descriptions
of lens performance.  It's good to learn how to interpret the data
(see photodo.com) and how to apply it for an analysis of lens contrast
& resolution as long as one is aware of the data's limitations.