[OM] Turning comparisons - OT

Subject: [OM] Turning comparisons - OT
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:48:23 +0000
The guy who owns the Spit also owns a Mustag. We would be on the property in
the mountains and low in comes this Mustang. What a roar. One time they did
a turning comparison Spit vs Mustang. Spit won easily.

Foxy

I believe that the Mustang was a hefty machine, larger and heavier than the Spitfire. On the other hand, perhaps the Mustang had more fuel on board for the test. A similar comparison might be the F-16 and F-15. The smaller aircraft (apart from being much more attractive) is lighter and has a better turn rate and smaller turn radius - no bias on my part of course :->.

On the subject of fuel load/comparisons, for the Summer Fair at RAF Brüggen in 1998 we raced a Tornado against a TVR Chimaera (British sports car). The Tornado won, but it had the advantage of a very low fuel load - so that it could land immediately - and poor weather conditions. The runway was wet and it was pouring with rain so the car had traction problems to surmount, while the aircraft had the cold(ish) air to give good performance. [The car was on the runway, the Tornado was on the parallel taxiway which serves as a standby runway].

I was seeing fair play so did not take any photos - sorry.

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx