Re: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) wildflower macro
From: tatu_laitinen@xxxxxxx
Date: 30 Jan 2000 04:34:27 -0800
On Sat, 29 January 2000, "Giles" wrote:
> A few questions:

>What would I gain [or lose] by using a 90 or 100 macro instead of the 50.

A better idea is to get both 80mm f4 and 135mm f4.5 macros on 65-116 extension.
They are a bit more slower to use than 90mm macros, but the results are simply
fantastic! If you are really serious about close-up/macro photography avoid
Tamron 90mm macros, because those are a bit soft at ratios from 1:1 to 1:2.

> what tripod would you carry, if light weight, low angle,

while light weight tripods are good on solid ground they are a bit whimpy when
used on a soft forest floor.

Heavier Bembo and Uni-lock designs are good. Gitzo tripods are expensive but I
have found them to be very reliable, well built and sturdy. I have a gitzo from
the mid 70s and its working like new. Used to own a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod
until one of its legs broke off in extreme cold (-30C)!! The metal seemed to be
MUCH lower quality than that of Gitzo. Also the locking knobs had a tendency to
get stuck on branches when walking in dense bushes. Get the Gitzo.

I have a Linhoff profi2 ballhead with quick release plate and it is a piece of
equipment that Im going to use for the rest of my life. Its well machined and
totally smooth.

> What are the top three [or 5?] accessories you'd throw in your pockets or
> daypack.

Set of filters (ND4, ND8, 81b, Pol)

In a longer run its much wiser to invest on higher quality (more expensive)
equipment than to buy cheap products that will not last for long.

Hope this helps,

Tatu j.Laitinen (Finland)