Re: [OM] 35-80

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80
From: george <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:54:29 -0800

Joseph wrote:

> I don't really like standard range zooms very much.    a 28/2, 50/1.8, and
> 85/2 would
> be cheaper, smaller, and more compact than a 35-80/2.8, and you
> get faster lenses, the option of carrying a smaller subset etc.

But not necessarily better performing.

> someone posted that the 35-80/2.8 was better than the 35/2 wide
> open on account of coma in the 35/2.

No, what I actually said was that Gary's tests show better performance
for the zoom wide open AND further that the 35/2 is a victim of coma,
which the zoom is not.

>  although I think this is
> debatable,

Please, debate.  Have you done the tests I have? The 35/2 is unusable at
f/4 and below if you've got bright objects (eg stars) near the edge of
the field, unless you'd prefer them to look like large, mis-shapen
blobs. I've been very disappointed with the performance of this lens at
these apertures ever since I bought it new.  Finally, the 35-80 allows
me to work around that focal length, wide open with confidence.

> the 35/2 is going to be better than the 35-80 at
> most apertures on account of better contrast and flare control.

This is debatable.  The contrast of the zoom is pretty comparable to
that of the 35/2, according to Gary's tests.  As for flare, the zoom
comes with a lens hood which helps (as does the 35/2).  And
flare-inducing photos are easy enough to avoid.

Here, BTW are the test results. And notice the zoom is testd with an
OM-1.  Based on other test results, switching to a 4T or -2000 will
increase the resolution by about 2/3 grade on average.

35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko (multi-coated)
@ 35mm setting
OM-1 with mirror lockup
Aperture  Center    Corner   Popular Photography
f/2.8     B+        B        B+
f/4       A-        B        B+
f/5.6     A-        B+       B+
f/8       A         A-       B+
f/11      A         B+       B+
f/16      A-        B        B
f/22      A-        B        C+
Note: high contrast at f/8, moderately high contrast elsewise.

35mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-4T with mirror and diaphragm prefire (sample 2)
Aperture  Center    Corner   Vignetting  Contrast
f/2       C         B-       B-          moderate
f/2.8     C+        B-       B           moderate
f/4       B+        B+       A-          high
f/5.6     A         A-       A           very high
f/8       A         A-       A           high
f/11      A         A-       A           mod. high
f/16      A-        A-       A           mod. high

> I'd hate to pay alot of money to give up performance in the f/5.6-f/16
> range that I use 950r more of the time.  I would have a strong
> preference for a 35/2, 50/1.8, and 90/2 macro over the 35-80.

That's your choice. Me? 28/2, 35-80/2.8, any of the 50s and the 90/2.

george