[OM] closeup lenses

Subject: [OM] closeup lenses
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:30:17 -0800 (PST)
=========
re: Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T, 6T...

These are great lightweight alternatives to extension tubes whilst still
maintaining high quality.
=========

I suppose the 3T and 4T are lighter, but I've standardized all of
my 35mm on 62mm filters with an X->62 stepper ring left mounted
all the time and 62mm lens cap on most of my lenses. The Nikon
62mm 5T and 6T closeup lenses are heavier than an extension tube.

But in terms of quality, for some lenses, 2-element closeup lenses
such as the Nikon ones will produce a better quality image than
using an extension tube to reach the same magnification.  Lenses
are optimized for certain subject distances and although floating
elements help to maximize the range of subject distances at which
the lens is well corrected, once you start adding extension tubes,
the lens is focused outside the optimal focusing range, and sometimes
the closeup lens on the front will yield a better image.  You get
a lens lenses more prone to flare, though, so you should always use
a shade with these closeup lenses when possible.

with a zoom, if you add an extension tube it turns the zoom into
a varifocal lens, ie one you have to re-focus when you change focal
lengths.  As a result, 2-element closeup lenses are the way to go
with zooms hands down.  But they work with prime lenses too of course.

Joseph