Re: [OM] The developments of a Zuikoholic....

Subject: Re: [OM] The developments of a Zuikoholic....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:39:06 +0000
At 21:25 1/30/00 , John Hudson wrote:
>I was out yesterday burning up some film in and around Vancouver. The
>temperature was recording 65F / 18C and I came across one house down by the
>water where the cherry tree in the front yard was in nearly full blossom.
>No snow here!

Geez, talk about a confused tree!  Doesn't proximity to the ocean moderate
things a bit there, at least near the water?  I don't think it's that warm
in Alberta right now.  Heck, I don't think it's that warm in San Francisco
either.

Another 6" within the past day and a half and it hasn't been melting off.
If it gets much deeper in the yard next to the drive, I'm going to have to
shovel the yard into a pile so I can shovel the drive.  Already had to
shovel a small piece of the back yard for the dog.  Today was the first
time I've seen my entire driveway in over two weeks.  Been slowly working
on parts that got packed by a heavy delivery truck before I could shovel
it.  Finally got the glacier left by the snowplows off the end this
afternoon.  Great aerobic exercise, yes great aerobic excercise.

Been getting "cabin fever" with the weather.  Snow or no snow, I was
determined to do some photography.  If you can't make the weather, I guess
you have to let the weather make the photos.  Took the "new" OM-1n to
several local landmarks.  One of them, a huge old mansion (now county
museum), just didn't look right the way the snow covered it.  Hit the
biggest of the local parks and shot the covered bridge there from several
angles.  Started snowing lightly again during part of it, so it will be
interesting to see how that turns out.

The creek iced over and the poor ducks were wandering around looking for a
break in the ice to get into the water!  I would swear they had the most
confused look ["It's here, it's here, I know it's here somewhere.  An
entire creek can't just disappear!"].  They finally found a small patch not
iced over yet upstream (or someone in the Parks Dept. broke one open for
them).  There were so many ducks crammed in together they could hardly
move!  Looked like a Winter duck version of the public pool on the first
day of Summer break from school.

Everything appears to be working fine with the 1n.  Meter readings are sane
and everything operated well in the cold.  Shutter release was softer than
expected.  It doesn't seem much stiffer than the OM-4's.  A little
different in operation from the OM-4 and OM-10.  It's close to using the
OM-4 in manual mode, but more basic.  There's something about the sound of
a mechanical shutter that appeals to me, even at the higher speeds;
electronic ones just don't sound the same.  Found yet another reason for
using a lens hood:  keeps light snow flurries from landing on the lens
objective.

Already making a list of more things I need!

-- John