RE: [OM] Questions about light set-ups

Subject: RE: [OM] Questions about light set-ups
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:33:33 +0100
Hi,

> If you plan on using anything other than very high quality factory rated
> tungsten (halogen or any type of bulb) be prepared to use a color
> meter. Variances of 300 to 400 degrees are not uncommon.
> Personally I try to stay away from hot lights especially for portraits.

[...]

> Hope that info is of some use.

Wow!
Thanks a lot for all the good tips guys!

Lately I've been reading a lot about simple studio set-ups etc., however
they always seem to only mention using flashes or studio lamps, and no word
about halogen lamps. I was wondering whether this was done for a good reason
(i.e. that halogen lamps effectively are to be avoided), or that the
literature I read was written before halogen lamps became largely popular
(the books date back to 1983)...

Either way: it's a pity that the temperature of halogen lamps is not equal
to that of studio lamps, and that it may cause a yellowish cast. I think I
will give these lamps a try on some test shots to see what the results look
like. Also, I'll try to see if maybe the usage of an 80A filter does a
sufficiently good job at correcting the colour cast.

Then, when I have got some more cash to burn I might gradually upgrade the
El Cheapo studio to a more professional one, using umbrellas instead of
transparant paper and using studio lamps and/or multiple T32s instead of
just one F280 (or T28-twin :) ).

Thanks for the discussion, it has been most useful, and I'll keep my eyes
open for 2nd hand studio equipment that might be of use, as well as T32
flashes...

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: Charles: for now I intend to focus only on using colour film, going to
B/W would just add another "unknown" factor for me, so for the time being I
will probably try to gradually go from simple set-ups to more complicated
ones, and when I feel I have enough experience with colour, I might try some
B/W shots...