Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc
From: Emil Pozar <emil.pozar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:09:50 +0100
"Ian A. Nichols" wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Emil Pozar wrote:
>
> > Two top American aces flew Lightnings..
>
> In WW1, the top British aces flew Sopwith Camels.... and they really
> were quirky to fly.

Obviously you have to *know* the machine to master it's pros and cons.
Camels in WWI, Lightnings in WW2.. Olympus multi-spot metering.. all the
same :-))

British Camel was very unstable in the air (e.g. very maneuverable),
French Spad XIII was stable, fast and strongly built fighter and German
Fokker DVII was somewhere in between. Nevertheless, all three were the
very best fighters of the WWI!

And more about Lightning:
"The perception of the P-38 as a mediocre aircraft is clearly the result
of wartime
propaganda run unchecked, and lay interpretations of period statements.
The historical
record clearly indicates that the big twin was there when it really
mattered and there can be no greater a compliment for its designers. It
was the aircraft which allowed the
USAAF to play an offensive strategy almost from the very beginning of
combat operations. The P-38 was without doubt the strategically most
important American fighter of World War II."
(http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/index.html)

Incidentally, in late WWII my father (as a kid) witnessed a sole
Lightning pilot that shoot down two enemy fighters one after the other,
at low level. This two-boom fighter was always his favourite!

--
Regards,

Emil Pozar
epozar@xxxxxxxxx