Re: [OM] Photos: Eclipse and 35-80/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos: Eclipse and 35-80/2.8
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:28:36 EST
I saw the distortion as well. What I think is that it should be easily
correctable via digital manipulation--if not immediately then soon.

Alex

ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Hi George and others

 While slowly recovering from a terrible winter flu I can't help but comment
on the barrel distortion ( http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus/kbs.html )
 of this lens.

 I don't know if I'm oversensitive or not, but this totally ruins an
otherwise excellent image, IMO it renders it almost unusable. All this talk
of 4.2 or 3.6 or whatever is relatively meaningless IMO. A lot of other
factors also count, distortion being one of them, vignetting another major
one.
 I thought my 35-70/3.5-4.5 was bad at this but it actually seems better than
the 35-80/2.8.

 And, oh yes, I've seen at least one zoom with fantastic flare control and
characteristics, the (sorry, not a Zuiko) Pentax 28-70/4 AF. I reckon it's
better in this department than my 35/2.0, which in itself is pretty good.
Can't compete with sharpness, though.

 back to sleep,
 cheers
 Ulf Westerberg