[OM] Questions about light set-ups

Subject: [OM] Questions about light set-ups
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:34:36 -0800
Olaf,

I think you are trying to put too much emphasis on the gas (halogen) used
inside the lamp.
Some of the lamps may have halogen as far as I know. The term that comes to
mind though is
quartz. But again that means very little other than quartz is usually a very
high wattage.
Usually over 500 watts. Studio lamps are temperature rated.  However this
rating will change
as the bulb gets used more.  Also keep in mind that at lower shutter speeds
most inexpensive
lighting set-ups create problems due to cycle speeds of the lamp.  When you get
into the
professional studio lighting systems such systems are rated as HMI and use high
quality
fresnal lenses.  Be prepared to drop a few thousand dollars for the most basic
system set
up. Personally I knew little about the operation of most of these high end hot
studio
lights. Usually one must be trained as a lighting tech to use them properly
with film.
Video is a little easier since video cams can be adjusted for different cycles
of the the
lights. Shooting film with hot lamps can be a major operation and in my opinion
is not for
the typical still photographer.  If you plan on shooting movie film then yes,
learn
everything you can about these hot lamps.

So if you are trying to build a studio on a budget, my recommendation is to buy
a few
inexpesive "on camera" strobes.  Like I said before the Vivitar 283's are
fairly good.  I
like the T32's because the don't have the neck to deal with.  The T32s however
create the
need to either use the OM TTL cables or hot shoes which can either be fired via
an
inexpesive slave or a standard sync cord.  Also keep in mind the need for some
good stands.
As to hot lamps, I would not invest too much money in them.

Phillip Franklin