Re: [OM] Turning comparisons - OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Turning comparisons - OT
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:24:59 +0000
>A bike would have been interesting ... top speed would have been the
>winning feature I expect.  The Tornado selects half reheat on the
>brakes and max (not "combat") after brakes-off, then lifts off (with
>low fuel weight) at around 170 knots (x 1.15 = 195.5 mph) after
>around 4,000 feet.
>
>How fast would a generic super bike be at that distance?

Er, not sure about 4,000 feet, they don't have wings ;-) The big bikes are
good for 190+mph, 0-100 in 6secs, standing quarter in <10secs with a
terminal velocity of ca.140mph. 1000cc sports bikes are close behind, though
only get to about 170mph top whack :-( The biggest thing is the
acceleration, for anyone who hasn't ridden one it's truly (wait for it)
"awesome"!

Sorry, but the whole list was waiting for someone to use the word.

Most longish bike shots in magazines are taken with 300/400mm, and they must
be used pretty wide open, the background and foreground are always well out
of focus. I know a couple of the top race photog.s use Canon 600/4s &
Velvia. I bet their osteopath is kept busy. Has anyone used the 300/4.5 wide
open? What are the results like compared to when it's stopped down?

Enough bike stuff from me. I've just received a copy of the OM Lens
Handbook, and boy, it's *nice*. Now all I have to do is talk up the value
and eventually sell it for 12 times its cover price ;-)

Simon E.