Re: [OM] RIP?

Subject: Re: [OM] RIP?
From: "J. Williams" <williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:40:20 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Here in the Seattle area I don't believe anyone carries OM equipment.
All they have is Nikon and Canon.  I, too, asked them over the last
several years about Olympus equipment. Sometimes I'd get a condescending
remark as if I should be using Nikon.  Mosly, if they didn't carry it they
believed it was out of production. So, I have been forced to use B&H as my
sole supplier but if local dealers don't carry Olympus why should I
support them.

Olympus' death has been greatly exaggerated.

Here's part of an article from PhotoTech Mag that came out a few months
ago.  I highlights why I like OM: lightweight, simple but powerful, and
quality in an intergrated, well thought-out system.

John

Stealth system
When Dave Willard of Olympus America introduced me to the OM system, he
commented that the system had become the industry's "best-kept secret."
This is due primarily to the market appeal of autofocus and to aggressive
advertising campaigns pursued by the major players in the 35mm SLR market.
The OM systemwhich represents a very small portion of Olympus's business
volumeisn't supported by a large advertising budget. Olympus's main
imaging business these days is in 35mm point-and-shoot and digital
cameras, two areas where the company is a market leader. As a result,
Olympus is a small fish in a big SLR pond, although a respected one.

After experiencing this degree of excellence from a company that is not a
major force in the 35mm SLR market, a logical question arises: Why do they
bother? They feel it's necessary for Olympus to have a flagship 35mm SLR
camera in order to be respected in the photographic market, even if that
camera doesn't return considerable profits. This is somewhat akin to why
some auto-makers produce "concept cars" knowing that the market potential
is limited. The OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti occupy that position in Olympus' current
product line-up. An additional consideration is the loyalty that Olympus
feels toward OM system photographers, who tend to be a dedicated and loyal
bunch.

Putting these considerati ons aside, the cameras and lenses speak for
themselves. The OM-4Ti achieves a delicate balance between simplicity and
sophistication. In fact, I was so convinced by my tests that I have joined
the ranks of those who embrace the "secret"I bought an OM system for my
personal use.

If you are in the market for a high quality, compact, lightweight,
no-frills 35mm system, or are simply looking to downsize your present
system, you should take a serious look at the OM cameras and lenses. Your
back and shoulders will be eternally grateful.

Contributing Editor Douglas Dubler is a leading NYC fashion and beauty
photographer, with more than 750 magazine covers and 1500 fashion and
beauty advertisements to his credit