[OM] ffuture of OM

Subject: [OM] ffuture of OM
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:23:52 -0800 (PST)
==========
Well, I talked to my local dealer tonight, and he said that Olympus is no
longer making the OM system and that once remaining stock is gone, there
will be no more. With the prices they are charging, this will take some
==========

I posted this same thing some time ago, but also keep in mind that
cameras and lenses are made in fixed production runs.  Oly.
sets up a production run, makes all they plan to make, then takes
it down and stores the stuff as it is gradually sold.  Canon
may not make any more A2's either, just seling the large stock
they have now.

all this is really saying is that Olympus isn't going to make
any new things for OM.  they could still have substantial stock
of OM stuff, and I expect it to be officially on the price list
for a good while.  As supplies dwindle on various items, prices
will increase (supply and demand forces at work here) and it
seems that Olympus likes having the system officially on the market.
All the 3rd party optical companies have dropped support for
OM except Tamron adaptall-2 lenses.

the $64,000 question is whether Olympus will ever make a digital
camera with OM mount.

joseph