Re: [OM] OM - RIP

Subject: Re: [OM] OM - RIP
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:06:13 EST
I'm afraid the this signals a changing or pass change of the guard at
Olympus! My guess is there is probably no "hard core" camera guy left in
Olympus's upper management--in particular the CEO or Chairman of the Board.
Sometimes such an individual can "shelter and protect" a sentimental favorite
in the face of bottom line oriented opponents!  I have heard this is the case
with Kyocera's Contax operation--which is reputed to be a heavy money loser!
The CEO is a major camera collector however (also hearsay), and in the past 5
years they have come out with a special edition 55F1.2 lens (8 elements and
floating), the new Aria camera body (which blows the OM2000 away), the
development of the Contax G series continues unabated, and the brand new
"full" Contax 645 system was introduced!

Bottom line appears to be this--if you want that new 90 macro, 35-80 zoom or
whatever, you'd better get it SOON! Given that $400 or more for a mint 40F2.0
seems extreme--what will happen when the 50F2.0, 90F2.0 and etc. become
unavailable at all!

Alex

bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< At 08:53 AM 2/1/00 -0800, you wrote:
 >I feel that the way Olympus is not answering inquiries about the OM system
 >is
 >the most irresponsible and ridiculous thing I have heard.
 >Anyone that would stay with a system that has that lack of support is
 >out of their mind!
 >What time are the meds distributed?
 >
 >Charlie L.
 >Inmate # 04949

 The following is a reply I received today (finally) from Olympus Japan. I
 had asked if the line was being discontinued and if there were going to be
 any new products in the forseeable  future. This was done in the context of
 using the cameras/lenses to earn a livelihood. I had asked for a "straight
 forward" response and this is the result. Believe that more is said by what
 is left out.

 Also spoke to Carsen Group today who are the Canadian Distributor. Same
 idea as in the e-mail sent to Japan. Their response was that there is only
 "limited availability" as there is far more interest in point and shoot and
 digital. When I asked what they had in stock right now he admitted to only
 2 bodies and no lenses. Ordering requires a 4+ week wait. All stock they do
 get comes from Oly US.

 Barry H