[OM] OM - RIP

Subject: [OM] OM - RIP
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 19:50:24 -0800
Joseph is right about production runs.  They will usually make up a batch of
what they think
they will be able to sell in a given period of time. They start filling orders
from that
inventory.  I'm sure a lions share of their inventory is destined for Oly
America. If Oly
America decides it can't sell out their inventory in a reasonable period of
time than they
quit placing orders to Japan. After awhile Oly Japan decides not to make
another production
run of a given item. I'm sure this is on an item by item basis. If there is not
a screaming
demand for 8mm fisheyes than I'm sure they are happy to see the last of their
inventory go
on that item. There's probably a fixed cost and thus fixed return on investment
which any
large modern manufacturing company must follow.  Oly is not like Contax or even
Hassy. Oly
operates in relatively large production runs.  Basically when a long term
demand for a given
item in their product line falls to such a low level that is no longer
economical to produce
and market, then that item gets cut.

So if a bunch of you guys & girls (with some extra pocket money) start
purchasing all of the
new stuff and forget about the used (which is traditionally left for us poor
guys), Oly will
keep on mak'n 'em.  I'm sure there is no god atop of Mt. Olympus who wakes up
one day and
decides to drop a largely successful line of 35 mm photo gear that has been
selling for over
25 years. My guess is that eventually the demand will just fade away when we
realize that
there are better alternatives out there for the same or less money. I don't
like plastic
cameras any better than the next guy, but I'm not some die hard who will over
pay to be
unique.  That's for the true collector, a breed who seems to have more money to
admire
manufactured goods as a form of art.

A new Nikon N90s sells for $675.00 and the Nikon F100 is around $1200. If one
breaks Nikon
will have it repaired and back in your hands inside a few days.  They have
absolutely
wonderful support and customer service.  They make a modern functional product
at a
reasonable price. Oly has just not gone after this market. Certainly the days
are numbered
for the OM series.  However it may take 10 or more years for us few die hards
to run dry of
our supply.  In the meantime 35 mm film photography will improve with more
modern and usable
equipment. And digital will advance to where we have more choices of the tools
we need for
our work.  If Oly decides not to participate in the future of this medium than
it's their
loss, not ours.

Phillip Franklin