Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:36:18 -0800
On 1 Feb 00, at 17:24, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> I need suggestions on the following:
>
> 1) Film: I am inclined to shoot the art with Provia 100 and a
> saturated film, either Velvia or E100VS. I also keep a supply of
> E100SW on hand.
My slide film experience is pretty limited, so I can't really help here.

> 2) Lens: I would imagine my 50/1.8 would be the best lens to use, but
> I also have the 21, 24, 28, 100, 135, and 180/2.8 lenses (and a
> 50/1.4) to choose from.
This is my 3rd "copy" shoot destined for print, and in each case I've used the
50/1.8, usually at f/8 for best sharpness/DOF compromise. I've never had
reason to reconsider this choice.

> 3) Lighting: Since I can't simply order up an overcast day on
> command, I'll probably have to make do with what I have: a Sunpack
> 433D and an old yellowed Vivitar 283. I haven't shot any color with
> the 283 and would be worried about the yellowedlns on it. I don't
> have any remote cords,controllers, etc.
I'd be inclined to shoot with and w/o flash - since the subject is stationary,
quantity of light is not important, but quality is. It just may turn out that
diffused window light is more even than any combo from your flashes.

> 4) Backdrop: I don't have one, although I do have a nice white wall
> and clean beige carpeting available. I intend to compose with
> aslittle backdrop showing as possible.
Either of these sound fine to me. Remember a grey card for determining an
exposure to bracket from.

I was given the job of shooting an original, large painting in December for a
new school Christmas card, with only 2 days to get the slide to the printer.
Given this, here's what I did:

1. Grabbed my OM-1, 50/1.8, and T-20, loaded up with Elite 100, which I had
on hand, and hoped for an overcast sky (easy) and no rain (not quite as
easy).

The next morning, I saw the painting for the first time - it is about 30" x 72"
-
a bit larger than expected. Luckily it was both overcast and dry, so I was
able to shoot in nicely subdued natural outdoor light. The painting has a dark
wood frame which would be cropped for the card, so the backdrop was not
an issue for me.

I took a reading at f/8, then proceeded to bracket +-2 stops in 2/3 stop
increments (roughly). I then added some more shots with auto fill flash from
the T20 where shutter speeds were below 1/60.

One of the conditions of having the painting shot was the original artist had
approve the slide prior to printing. I picked up the slides from overnight
processing, and then showed the best 3 to the artist. She agreed that they
all showed sufficient detail, and that the printer could decide which would
scan best for shadow and highlight details. (it just occurred to me that I
don't
know which one they used... I'll have to find out)

The results were quite good, I think, given a difficult subject to render (snow
scene with plenty of subtle detail in both shadow and highlights), and limited
time.

Hope this helps.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx