Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick
From: Emil Pozar <emil.pozar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:12:40 +0100
"C.H.Ling" wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> There are lots of suggestions already given by other list member, but
> I would like to add some with my limited experience. I think it is
> better to use a lens with less linear distortion (e.g. 50/3.5 or 100/2
> or 2.8). Also the resolution of Zuiko standards at close distance
> (around 1:1x) is not so good, you need a lens with close focus
> correction, the cheapest one that fit the bill is 50/3.5. The latest
> version 50/1.8 (Made in Japan) was tested to have high barrel
> distortion by Pop photo.
>
> To get accurate color you need to use flash with daylight film or
> tungsten lighting with tungsten film as suggested by other list
> members. But for painting, the reflections may be very difficult to
> deal with, you may need polarizes as suggested by Phillip, but it is
> too difficult for me to think about the setup.
>
> I have used single flash (at 45 degrees and 6 feet from the object)
> and 50/3.5 to shoot some ceramic plate photos of around 11x14" and get
> quite good result (with incident flash meter), but painting may be
> more difficult.

My brother is an artist too. His oil paintings had presented problems
with unwanted reflections until I used two flashes *both* with
umbrellas, at about 45 degrees from both sides of the painting.
Umbrellas made all the difference.

The flashes in manual mode, incident flash light meter, neutral_color
film (for dia film K25/K64, if in a a hurry Agfachrome XRS 50/100).

--
Regards,

Emil Pozar
epozar@xxxxxxxxx