RE: [OM] Bergen-Op-Zoom (Holland) photography

Subject: RE: [OM] Bergen-Op-Zoom (Holland) photography
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:42:55 +0100
Hi William (and others reading this),

> Olaf,
> Where are you moving to in the east of the country?

Enschede.

> I think I do diasgree with you that there is not so much interesting in
> that part of our country.

Well, I have lived for nearly 20 years in that area (Oldenzaal). City-wise
there's nothing of particular interest, town/village wise, some places (like
Ootmarsum) are not so bad, but then again, such towns/villages can also be
found in other parts of The Netherlands and therefore do not very much
warrant going there just to see them.

> If you like forests for example the Achterhoek is quite nice, well
> actually better than that.

The forests actually contribute largely to what I do like about that region;
while we don't have spectacular nature like in the Americas, the forests are
pleasing nonetheless. However, as far as I have been to various places in
The Netherlands, "De Veluwen" and "De Biesbosch" are both nearer by to
Bergen op Zoom, and both will probably have more varied wildlife and
forests. So again, it is not a reason to particularly go east when you're on
a really tight schedule...

> I go there on holydays and to visit my wife's family in Winterswijk.

It's not a bad/ugly area, but I may have expressed myself a bit poorly,
basically what I was getting at is that I don't think there's too much stuff
of particular interest over there to warrant going there when you only have
very little time to spend. Of course when you live in The Netherlands you
can explore the area and check out some of the ancient farms and stuff like
that. Just my opinion though...:/

Cheers!
Olafo