Re: [OM] pianos and lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] pianos and lenses
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:30:05 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:32:29 -0800 (PST), Joseph wrote:

>============================
>>Although I agree that lens tests need to allow for the subjective
>>element, tuning pianos is actually fairly simple according to which
>>model of intonation the tuner uses. He can tune each note precisely
>>toa given standard (A=440) for even intonation, or he can adjusy
>>certain notes higher or lower to achieve just intonation. To many
>>ears, even intonation sounds alittle harsh, so just intonation is
>>most commonly used.
>
>Oh so true.
>============================
>
>You will never see a piano tuned to just intonation.  It is impossible
>because it does not have enough keys to do that.  In just intonation,
>A# and Bb are different tones but the piano only has one key dedicated
>to both tones.

And strangely, piano tuners manage to tune to just intonation. I can
speak even more authoritatively of harmonica tuners (yes, serious
harmonica players do tune their harmonicas to exacting standards),
and assure you that the just vs even tuning question isabig one,and
that there are strong adherents to both sides of the issue.

That said, this is entirely off topic for the OM-list, so we should
take further discussion of this off-list, or to a more appropriate
forum like harp-l, where they thrive on this topic.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx