Re: [OM] camera vibration?

Subject: Re: [OM] camera vibration?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:10:38 -0600
At 09:43 AM 2/3/2000 EST, Dirk you wrote:
>I noticed that in Gary's lens tests the OM4 gives better test results
>than the OM1. Gary says it's because of the OM1's vibration in
>actuating the diaphram, if I remember correctly. What I'm wondering is
>whether the olympus electronic cameras (OM2, OM4) have less vibration
>overall than the mechanical ones (OM1, OM3,)?  Would this make much
>difference in the sharpness of photos taken in the real world, as
>opposed to the laboratory??

I guess it's got to make a difference in the real world, but I could not
see it in actual photos using a 50/1.8 loupe. Nor does MLU on the OM-1 make
any discernable difference that I could see over just shooting away.

It is still uncertain whether the diaphram stop down or the shutter is the
cause of vibration. I think it's the shutter.  I taped the DOF button down
on my 200/f4 and put the aperture at f4 and was still seeing a pretty good
kick on the OM-1 from about 1/30 to 1/2 second (as evidenced by laser beam
reflected off the lens). There is virtually no movement with OM-2S using
the timer, so yes I'd say the electronic shutters were an improvement over
the OM-1.  I don't know about the OM-3Ti, but it's a much newer camera than
the OM-1. I'd love to test one of those.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA