[OM] Shooting jewelry

Subject: [OM] Shooting jewelry
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:45:17 -0800
Jez,

Jez wrote:
"Depending on what you want to do with the results, just try scanning the
item directly on a flat-bed scanner - remarkable results!  (But of course
YMMV depending on the dpi of your scanner.)"

Very good point! For insurance or really simple Internet publishing, and
sometimes catalogue
work this will save hours of work. I once did this for a catalogue of lapel
pins. The only
problem is that some flatbeds do not have the depth of field (DOF) necessary
for really 3-D
objects, and of course you will never achieve the image quality of well shot
photo. I've
noticed that some of the older top of the line UMAX 3 pass scanners have a very
good DOF.
Also some of the newer less expensive  scanners have very shallow DOF. I've
tried some of my
techniques using the Oly Camedia 2500 and putting diffuser material over the
flash. Crappy
result.  Digital cameras that cross my way will have a very, very long way to
go before they
come close to the OM4 with 2 T32s. However I have used an $8000 Sony industrial
digital
video head with a high end video lens (probably a $2500 lens) and basic video
lamps with
diffusers to get some eye catching shots of jewelry.  Of course this capture
was only 72 dpi
but incredible quality and easy to do.

Right now you can't even come close to film for macro photography. And in 35mm
macro
photography ... the OM System is the undisputed world heavy weight champion.

Phillip Franklin