Re: [OM] New Thread - OM2000 (new) vs. OM-1 (used)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Thread - OM2000 (new) vs. OM-1 (used)
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:12:39 EST
>OK troops. New guy needs some help.
>Actually tried to do my homework before exposing my ignorance to the
list.
>I checked the FAQ's, surveyed the List archives, surfed the web... and
still don't know:
>Which is the better use of limited photo dollars - a OM 2000 (new) or
a  OM-1 (used)?
>I currently own OM-1 MD's and lenses (and Pen FT* since the 60's), but
know nothing
>of the OM2000 (only what I could find and read... which mostly sounded
like press releases
>or "pontificator du jour" rather than users). Did note both cameras
seem to be running about
>the same in price. If it's been covered, will someone please direct
me; if not,  opinions please.

Since you already own OM-1's, and assuming you are used to the
arrangement of the controls, I would not recommend a OM2000.

The OM2000 is more like a Nikon with an OM mount on it. It's more like
the universal "generic" camera than the OM system. It's not a system
camera. The differences between the OM2000 and OM1 include:

1) different shutter speed dial location
2) different rewind button location
3) different meter button location

The OM2000 lacks:

4) non-interchangeable viewfinder screens
5) no motor drive capability
6) non-interchangeable back
7) no mirror lock up (I think)
8) no PC socket
9) no flash bulb switch

The OM2000 has some features that are nicer than the OM1:

1) 1/125 sync speed
2) lighter weight
3) less vibration
4) window in camera back for viewing film canister
5) spot meter
6) available batteries

You would be well served by getting an OM2 or OM4, since these have the
same ergonomics as your OM1, plus they add features to your OM system.

>Thank you.    Rick in Virginia

where? I'm in reston.

>*Any interest in the FT?

eBay is a hot market for Pen FT gear.