Re: [OM] camera vibration?

Subject: Re: [OM] camera vibration?
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:15:33 +0000
It would make a difference with longer focal lengths if you are using a
cable release and a tripod.

In hand held use I doubt there would be a difference as the vibrations are
absorbed by your body being in contact with the camera.  The human body is
mostly water and would tend to absorb and damp high frequency vibrations.

The best way to take shots using a tripod and any OM without aperture and
shutter pre-fire is to use the method Olympus recommends for longer focal
lengths.  They recommend treating the tripod as a support to just take the
weight of the camera and lens and to hold and steady the lens with the
left hand while holding the camera with the right hand and pressing the
shutter release with your finger.  This way your body is in contact with
the camera & lens at two points and so can absorb and damp any vibrations.

I tested this.  I used Fuji Provia, a Benbo 1 tripod with centre column
extended 300mm f4.5 +1.4X TC (420mm) and 4Ti - Also 180mm + 1.4X.  I took
some shots at various apertures using Olympus' recommended method and also
using the self timer with aperture and mirror pre-fire.

I could not distinguish any difference between the two methods from the
slides.  I don't bother with self timer now.

Giles