Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:53:21 -0500
> Just to be sure I have this correct, rear curtain sync is when the the
> sync contacts are closed when the trailing curtain begins to move, as
> opposed to the usual X sync which occurs when the leading curtain is
> fully open?
>
> Assuming that the above is correct, I can't think of the difference it
> would have on picture taking. For really slow shutter speeds, the stuff

You are correct in your def'n of rear curtain sync.

The difference is that the bright, "frozen" image due to the flash is
at the end of its movement.  If you take a picture of a fast-moving object
with front curtain sync, you get a "frozen" object with a trail in
the direction it's about to go.  With rear curtain sync, you instead
get a "frozen" object with a trail along where the object came from.
The latter is considered more natural and indicative of fast movement
to many, since you normally see the trail of what a moving object's just
done rather than a trail of what it's about to do.

joey