Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync??
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 16:13:31 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Jay Maynard wrote:

> I used it to do a self-portrait a few years ago, in front of a monitor. I
> sat still, set the camera for rear curtain sync and 1/15 second, and shot.
> The slow shutter speed allowed the image on the monitor to show up clearly,
> while the N8008 made the flash put out just enough light to properly expose
> the rest of the picture. You can see the results at
> http://jmaynard.home.texas.net/jrmpic.html .
>
> I don't know how I'd do the same thing with an OM...In particular,
> front-curtain sync would have led to overexposing the picture de to the
> relatively high level of ambient light.

  I do flash on manual, whenever there is time, finding reflective-based
systems less reliable, IMNSHO). In this case, I would have adjusted the
flash power down to provide fill and filtering with gels for fluorescents
or tungsten to match color temp of ambient, and used a slow enough
exposure for the monitor. I might have covered the monitor screen
with carefully-cut black velvet (velvet is your friend, repeat...),
then made a 2nd exposure for that (the OM-2000 might come in handy there)
that way you'd avoid flash reflections on the screen.

                              *= Doris Fang =*