[OM] My name is Donald...

Subject: [OM] My name is Donald...
From: "Donald MacDonald" <donald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:34:00 -0000
...and I am a Zuikoholic. A trip to Glasgow has resulted in two new bits of
glass, namely a 35/2 (sn 101137, silver front ring, MC, byootiful,) and a
135/2.8 (sn 152637, MC, with Olympus 1A filter, mint as far as I can tell,
also byootiful).  Expensive-ish at 250UKP the pair, but lovely, and a real
morale boost in dark February. Thank you Visa.

Quiggs also had a 35/2.8 (nice, cheap, but not as nice as the f2) and a
300/4.5, which I didn't ask to see, because the temptation would have been
too much... but I have their phone number!

While I was there I also looked at a black OM1 with a dent in the top plate,
just on the front corner at the frame counter. There was a fair amount of
other brassing and paint loss, but I had a good play with it and it seemed
mechanically sound. The mirror had some minor scratching (what HAD the guy
been doing to it...!) but I fitted the 35/2 and everything seemed to work.
When it gets back from the workshop I may have another look...

Two other Olympus owners came in while I was there, one a student with an
OM30, wondering about trading up to manual only; someone had obviously been
talking N*k*n to her, but I tried my best to put her on the trail of an OM1.
Another guy came in who had lost two OM1s, and now had an OM2n, which I told
him to attach firmly to his person and not let go!

Tried a couple of winder 2s, but one was really badly brassed and the other
only fired single frames. You can still get winders pretty easily over here,
so I passed.

Dammit, I should have looked over that 300, though.

Jessops in Sauchiehall Street had a 25mm Extension Tube at about 45UKP, but
I don't really do macro.

Quiggs get quite a few Olympus items, but they don't stay long, not
surprising really, when you consider there were 3 of us in there in one hour
today! They're not the cheapest, but about the only place I can regularly
get to and actually handle the items before buying - important to me.

BTW, I don't think we should call the next themed shoot "A parcel of
Rouges", I for one am not putting on Redface for anyone, far less taking a
photo of myself wearing it ;-)

I actually went to Glasgow to look at bike frames, but my Zuikos were
cheaper than a Flying Scot frame (560UKP 8>0)

Clean forgot to buy fim, too..

Donald.