Re: [OM] ffuture of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] ffuture of OM
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:05:37 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Terry and Tracey wrote:

|> the $64,000 question is whether Olympus will ever make a digital
|> camera with OM mount.
|
|They wont. Other mounts pass aperture info to the body, which is what people
|want.

This in itself doesn't stop Olympus from making a Zuiko-ready digital
body.

Making a new lens arsenal which transmit aperture data would be a
major financial undertaking which would only make sense if a
Zuiko-ready digital body became a major seller.  And this is a
distinct possibility, seeing that the Olympus C-2500 (sp?) now has the
highest resolution among digital offerings.

Early customers (like Yours Truly, naturally ;-) ) would have grin and
bear the aperture-less viewfinder.  Later on, we would also have to
unload our old Zuiko lenses for the new aperture-transmitting glass to
see apertures in the finder.

If Olympus were to go this far, it would also make sense to design new
conventional bodies which could display the apertures from an upgraded
Zuiko lens line.