[OM] 85/2

Subject: [OM] 85/2
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:37:47 -0800 (PST)
==================
Is the 85 mm f/2 Zuiko a good lens? I'm wondering buying an one. Is it a
good one?
==================

virtually every lens ever made in the last 30 years in the 85mm to 105mm
focal range is a good lens.  it really is hard to find a bad one,
and the 85/2 is no exception.

so, yes, the 85/2 is a good lens.  however, there are a fair number
of really stellar lenses in this range, such as the 100/2 Zuiko
or the 105/2.5 Nikkor, and I think it is a fair evaluation to say
that the 85/2 Zuiko is not the equal of these two.  On the other hand,
the 85/2 Zuiko is quite compact for an 85mm lens, about the size of
a standard 50mm lens for non-OM cameras.  As a result, my own take
on teh 85/2 is it is a lens I'd use if I needed a fast, short tele
that was compact.  otherwise, I think the 100/2 Zuiko is the way to
go if you want an f/2 short tele.

Joseph