[OM] Testing your lens

Subject: [OM] Testing your lens
From: lgriffin@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:27:15 -0800
  During a conversation I had with a seller that I was buying some OM
goodies from. He said he tested all of his lenses and showed me a target
that was about a 6 in. square with progressively smaller pairs of
rectangles on it arranged in a square pattern. His thoughts were that
anything built on a production line was going to be to ± some deviation.
This assembly line deviation has been well known for sometime concerning
cars. I'm not sure how well it might apply to optics. At first thought
it seems like an intriguing idea. Especially after Gary R.s comments on
retesting the 75-150 mm zoom. Gary's' test are by far the results by
which to judge which lens you might want  for your photography. I'm not
buying new lenses and I don't believe that whole lot of us are. Can I
assume that the used lens that shows little or no signs of use are close
to factory specs. Perhaps John H. (another revered resource of this
list) can make a general comment on what he has seen working on lens.
When a lens is CLA is there a test done on the lens. Of course what we
are really concerned about are the end results. Should I assume that the
nearly new lens is not at fault, if the results I get back is not what I
thought I saw.
 --
Regards,
Larry