Re: [OM] Copying slides

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying slides
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 09:31:39 +0100
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:33:03 -0800, lgriffin@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>This question has been discussed before using a scanner. Recently an
>Olympus slide copier came up on our favorite auction sight. 8) I bid on
>it thinking I would use it to copy slides that I have from many years
>ago cheaper than a scanner. 8^) The thought was to use Kodak film and
>get photo disk made with the developing. I didn't win. The winner has
>contacted me to say that it is available. because it requires bellows.
>Even with the bellows it is tempting, but does it also require a macro
>lense. Is there any other use for a slide copier? I've thinking the
>answer is get a scanner for the copying the slides.

Larry,

Lens, light and film are essential - as with all photography.

The macro lens is the first thing which you will need to do any
slide-copying. But it can also be done with a normal standard lens in
reverse position, loosing some quality.
A proper light source is the second thing needed - preferably flash or
maybe light reflected from a cloud, always on a matte surface behind
your slide.
Third comes your film.

All other items are only to help you frame the picture and keeping
'strange' light out.
The camera is for holding the film - you know...
The bellows is for aligning elements and for putting the right
distance between macro lens and film, but it could be replaced with a
tube (or even empty space, in a dark room)
The duplicator is for holding your slide, and for keeping the right
distance between lens and slide. It also provides darkness there.

You could build your own setup with all kinds of materials - but the
(macro) lens will always be needed. And a good light source behind
your slide, of course.

Some slide copiers (not the Olympus one) are made in one piece and
have the lens built in. They do a pretty good job. But they serve only
one purpose: slide copying. The Olympus bellows can be used for all
macro pictures (of which slides are a special kind). But the slide
copy attachment cannot.

If you want to copy your slides with a photo disk in mind as the final
destination for your pictures, I think it would be better to go
digital. Buy a digicam which is capable of macro (e.g. with a high
quality close-up lens), or even better: use a slide scanner. I don't
know how many slides you want to have digitized, but using scanner or
digicam will save a lot on film.

Another thing. If you only want to have your pictures converted to
photo disk, maybe you can have it done directly off your slides by
Kodak or by the firm you have in mind.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.