[OM] OM2/2s battery cap compatibility - was: Cold Weather Battery Holder

Subject: [OM] OM2/2s battery cap compatibility - was: Cold Weather Battery Holder #2 for OM3/4 wanted
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:58:42 -0500
Buddy Walters asked:
... can someone tell me if the battery screw cap for the OM2 is the same
as the OM2s spot?
--------------------------------------
No, it's not.  The OM2 cap is substantially larger than the OM2s cap.
The OM2s uses 357 batteries and has an appropriately sized battery well
and cap.  The OM2 bottom plate appears to be identical to the OM-1
bottom plate.  The battery well and cap are sized as for the 625 battery
(like the OM-1) but the size of the battery well is reduced for a 357
battery by partially filling it with a plastic spacer.  I noted that the
motor drive caps are interchangeable between the OM-1 and OM-2.  I can
also place an OM-2 battery cap on an OM-1 but not vice-versa.  The OM-2
battery cap has a "2" stamped inside.  Although the outside diameter and
thread are identical in the two battery caps the OM-2 cap has a thinner
wall in order to clear the plastic spacer in the battery well.  Not sure
why they did this.  It looks like the battery caps could have been
identical if the plastic spacer in the OM-2 had a 0.5mm smaller outside
diameter.  My OM-PC and OM-G also appear to have large battery caps ala
OM-1/2 but I have not checked them for interchangeability.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA