Sv: [OM] 55mm F1.2

Subject: Sv: [OM] 55mm F1.2
From: "LARS BUNDESEN" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:12:17 +0100
According to an old Swedish test I have, the Zuiko 55mm/1.2 is more than
just "reasonably good".

At 30 lines/mm the MTF values are (as I can see from the lines shown):

F1.2 center 0,53, edge 0,28
F 2.8 center 0,75, edge 0,43
F 8  center 0,79, edge 0,77

A Canon SCC 55mm/1.2, tested at the same time has the same values (i.e.
around 0,8) for F8, but significanty lower values at 1.2 and 2.8:

1.2 center 0,42, edge 0,17
2.8 center 0,59, edge 0,30

Verdict for the the OM 55/1.2: Already fully open this lens gives good
center sharpness and is fully acceptable for portraits and photography at
low light levels. Stopping down to F2.8 already gives an extremely good
sharpness in center and fully acceptable edge sharpness. Stopping down to
F8 only improves edge performance, which together with center sharpness
here is absolutely top level.
(My translation)

The 50mm/1.2 is probably better, as it is a newer design and also
multicoated, but the 55 mm is a good lens in my opinion.

Lars