Re: Sv: [OM] OM=Japanese Leica???

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] OM=Japanese Leica???
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 11:07:25 -0800
In a message dated 2/9/2000 Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< This sounds like a lot of marketing double-talk.  I for one
don't believe it.  Why would Nikon release their D1 with a standard
Nikon
AF mount?  Why would Kodak make their $20-30,000 digital cameras using
Fxx
and EOS bodies that use standard Nikon and Canon lenses?

OK, I plead ignorance, and I'm on a EE or Optical Engineer, I'm just a
lowly college-educated bum, but....

I honestly don't understand the statements that quality is acceptable
for
film, but not for Digital.  The digital CCD's are like groups of little
pieces of film (or buckets), what difference does it make whether or not
the light rays are parallel or convergent?  Moden lens design has
concentrated on minimizing aberrations across a flat film plane.
Forgive
me, but isn't a CCD flat??!!  If modern lenses can focus onto ultra-fine
films like K25, 2415, etc and get outstanding results, why not CCD's at
several times the resolution (worse, not better)? >>

CCDs, even the best of them, _do not_ have several times the resolution
of fine grain film...in fact far from it. When they do, there will be no
more use for film (except for esoteric and nostalgic reasons) and we
ain't there yet...

The devices are indeed little light capturing "buckets" and depending on
imager design, you have either three little buckets next to one another
(for RGB) or you have three seperate imagers (again RGB). While for film
the ideal is to get all colors to land on the same spot of the film
plane (hello Apochromatic lenses), this may not be the case for digital
imaging. I have a feeling Olympus digital design people may actually be
on to something here. Ideally you want the red bucket to get mostly red,
green mostly green, and well...you get the drift.

Yes, there are pro bodies from Kodak, N*k*n and C*n*n that accept std.
SLR lenses. Was this for best performance or was this to get a leg-up in
the professional marketplace at a compramise of performance? I would
suggest the later.

I wonder if Olympus is making the right marketing strategy on this (as
in I too am not convinced they couldn't do this and make it work). It is
important to note that in the high end consumer/semi-pro digital camera
market that Olympus is generally regarded as the best. (Take a look at
images from a C2000 or C2500 and compare them with a Coolpix 950 for
example...)

Doesn't sound like Marketing double-talk to me...sounds more like
Engineering winning the battle of when to come to market against
Marketing. That's my take on it anyway...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com