[OM] Washing slide films after development

Subject: [OM] Washing slide films after development
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:19:22 -0800 (PST)
I've wanted to share this idea for some years but never got
around to it. Like all the best things, it's simple!

About 15 years ago, in England, being addicted to photography
with my (at that time) OM-2N, I decided to develop slide films
at home.  I equipped myself with all the gear (film changing
bag, devloping tank, stopwatch, thermometer etc.) and started
developing Ektachrome slide film. I was a bit nervous, at first,
afraid I might ruin my precious pictures; but I got the hang of
it and came to enjoy it. The only snag was that drying the
developed film always always left smears, regardless of how
conscientiously I washed the film.

Looking in photographic magazines at the time, I found that many
people were experiencing the same problem. Their letters to the
editor were often answered with advice abount applying a sponge
to the film to remove as much water as possible.

Then it dawned on me - the water from the tap was "hard", i.e.
contained minerals that were deposited on the film as the result
of evaporation when it was hung up to dry.  The solution was
obvious: do a final rinse of the film with distilled water
(readily available from car accessory stores for use in topping
up accumulator cells). This cured the problem for me!

I know it's a no-brainer and I apologise to those who know about
it but it seemed that not many people realised the problem then.

Regards to everyone,

Ray