[OM] OM-PC/40 light leak, was: Self-timer behavior, was...

Subject: [OM] OM-PC/40 light leak, was: Self-timer behavior, was...
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:01:20 -0500
John H. asked:
Hows the foam around the window in the back cover?
Thanks for listening John.  Actually, the mystery is that all of the
foam _appears_ to be in fine shape.  I bought it used from a shop in
Pennsylvania last summer.  Works great except for the leak.  Never
showed up until I spent an entire day walking around in bright sun with
400 speed film.  It has service stickers inside indicating it was
serviced in '86 and '91 so the foam is probably at least as old as '91.

Since the foam appears to be good I didn't want to simply replace it
without understanding where the leak was coming from.  I want to
critically inspect that area so I don't replicate the same problem.  I
had been doing some experiments taping and untaping parts of the camera
while leaving it out in the bright sun between exposures.  However, my
experiments spread out over a long time and I misplaced my notes before
finishing and have to do it all over again.

Should it turn out to be the window foam, where do I get a new
countoured piece?  By the way, I also have an Oly Stylus zoom which has
an even worse light leak (as well as non-working flash).  It has a foam
window seal as well but has a rubber gasket back seal.  Do I have to get
these seals from Oly?  Thanks.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA