Re: [OM] Focusing screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing screens
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:56:41 EST
In a message dated 02/10/2000 12:37:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, sdf@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> I hope some of you can help me understand my options regarding focusing
> screens.  I have an OM4 and OM1 and understand that I can change the
focusing
> screens.  I have had the OM1 for over 20 years and just recently acquired
the
> OM4 on Ebay.  It seems to me that the OM1 has a brighter viewfinder than
the
> OM4.

Yes it does.

>  Could that have to do with the focusing screens?

The OM-4 viewfinder is dimmer because the main mirror allows some light to
pass through to the sub mirror for metering.

> How do I determine
> which screen I have in each.

Remove the lens. At the top front of the mirror box is a small tab. Pull
forward on this tab and the fram holding the screen will drop down. There is
a small tab on the screen itself which has a number on it. Most likely your
cameras have a 1-13 screen installed, and there will be a small 13 on the tab.

>  Are there any screens that will provide a brighter veiwfinder?

The OM-4 accepts the Olympus 2 series screens. There is a 2-4 (all matte) and
a 2-13 (matter plus center microprism and split image). The 2 series screens
will only fit in the OM-1 if you do a little filing on the tab. Any brighter
screen will also throw off the OM-1's meter, since it meters off of the
screen. There are also the Beattie Intenscreens. They will fit the OM-1
unmodified, but will throw off the meter.

> How difficult is it to change the screens and how much
> can a mess up the cameras if I do it wrong?

They really aren't that difficult to change. New screens come in a box with a
small tweezer tool and a brush. The biggest danger is in dirtying the mirror
or the bottom of the prism. Just be careful and you shouldn't have any
problems.

>Thanks in advance for your
> thoughts.

Hope this helps,