Re: RE :[OM] EXTENSION FOR 20mm MACRO

Subject: Re: RE :[OM] EXTENSION FOR 20mm MACRO
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:17:07 -0800
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:23:59 -0500 (EST), Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 >> Along these lines, does the 38/2.8 short mount mate with the body
 >> cleanly or does it require an extension tube?
 >
 >Both the 20/2.0 and 38/2.8 can mount directly to a body.  The 38mm seems
 >to give about 1.5:1 magnification without extension and the 20mm about
 >3:1 (as a rough estimate, I didn't take any actual measurements).

I think you are wrong, Mark.

Physically these short macros could be mounted to the camera body, but
you won't be able to focus.

Hey Frank -- any good macro junkie knows that you focus by moving the camera back and forth? :-)

Either of those lenses -- the newer ones, in the OM mount -- will mount directly to the body, and will focus as Mark describes. In addition, they have a helical focus ring for an EXTREMELY LIMITED focusing range.

Now arguing whether it is appropriate to do so is kinda like insisting only the 80/4 be used for copying slides... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>